SyntaxHighlighter

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Writing About Writing Software

As a software engineer my main focus day to day at work is the technical. What software we are planning, writing or testing, and how it fits into our projects and systems as a whole. That part of problem solving is still enjoyable, even if its down in the weeds.

And while that is nerdy and technical, every project always comes down to the communication of the team. Developers to other devs. Devs to management. Devs to customers. Management to customers. If that communication is weak somewhere, the project is negatively affected. If that communication is weak everywhere, the project is in real trouble (even if no one knows it) and your job might start becoming affected as well.

So why have a blog about software engineering? Communication.

There are three main reasons I'm starting this blog.

1. To get better at explaining myself. To fellow teammates, to managers, to customers, to the non-technical. Anything I write down will not be wasted time, merely practice for the next time I need to communicate an idea.

2. To join in. I have been helped by reading a person or team's technical blog, and maybe something I write about would help someone else. These days the world of software is more open and communication options are broad, which makes the software community just a little closer to home and I want to join in!

3. To keep track. Avoiding the same mistake, recreating that snippet or gathering the cliff notes on a topic - some things are worth revisiting. Am I getting better? Changing? Growing? No way to know without keeping track, and the internet is the place for things to not disappear.

Let's see how this goes . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment